Early in my journey on the low fodmap diet it became evident that I needed to be careful about the alcohol choices I was making, and so I have put together a simple guide to making the best low fodmap choices.
This is a re-post of one of my most popular posts – alcohol and the low fodmap diet! If you are heading to a lot of Christmas parties, or just thinking about how to navigate low key family events, this simple guide will help you through.
Firstly I will be upfront and point out what you probably already know, if not suspect: alcohol is a gut irritant and in all forms can be problematic if you have IBS. I know for myself, regardless of what form of alcohol I consume it will effect me, either during the night or early the next morning. If I am completely honest with myself I am much better off without alcohol, but like many of you, I also enjoy the social aspects of drinking.
If you do decide to have a drink, these are some low fodmap guidelines to help you make the best choices.
Low Fodmap Choices:
- Red wine
- White wine (dry or sweet)
- Sparkling wine or champagne
- Beer (if you are gluten intolerant, as I am, choose gluten-free beer only)
- Gin (straight or with low fodmap mixers)
- Vodka (straight or with low fodmap mixers)
- Whiskey (straight or with low fodmap mixers – please note this may not be suitable if you are gluten intolerant)
- Low fodmap mixers: most sodas/soft drinks, lime juice, fresh lime, soda water, cranberry juice (up to 250ml), sugar syrup
- Low alcohol or Low GI wine
- Dessert wine
- Fruit mixers, with the exception of cranberry juice, but restrict this to no more than 250ml
- Most cocktails are high fodmap due to fruit juice or agave syrup ingredients
- Most liqueurs
- Also avoid drinking on an empty stomach
Usually, I will choose white wine or vodka with fresh lime and soda. A white wine spritzer (half wine, half soda water) is also refreshing on hot evenings! Occasionally, if I am out and everyone is ordering a cocktail I might choose a caprioska made with lime and vodka or a cosmopolitan as I find these are the best low fodmap cocktail options.
Let me know if you find any great low fodmap cocktail recipes!
All the best,